- 3 McIntosh apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 4 pre-made 3 inch tart shells
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granola
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- In a saucepan, melt butter until slightly brown and add brown sugar. Caramelize for a minute then add diced apples. Toss until all is coated. Add spices and toss. Remove from flame and flambé with brandy. Return to flame until most of the brandy is cooked off. Reduce heat to cook apples and slowly reduce glaze that starts to form. Set aside and let cool before you place into tart shells.
- For the topping, combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Melt butter and pour over dry ingredients. Fold ingredients until fully combined.
- For the caramel sauce, in a heavy bottom pan take sugar and slowly melt until reddish brown in color. Remove from heat and add half of the heavy cream. Sauce will boil violently, when it calms down put back to medium flame and stir together. Add the rest of the cream to liquefy the consistency. Set aside until needed.
- Take a tart shell and fill ¾ of the way up, top with crumb topping and place into a preheated oven.
• Top of the Square Catering's Executive Chef
Sep 14, 2016